In early 2005, Grubb Properties donated a 2.1 acre parcel adjacent to Morrison to the Grubb Real Estate Preservation Foundation and worked with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission to obtain historic landmark designation for the site. Going forward, the land will be thoughtfully landscaped and preserved in accordance with Commission guidelines for the perpetual reflection, serenity and enjoyment by residents and visitors to Morrison.
According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historical Landmarks Commissions, a group of African-American members of Sharon Presbyterian Church appeared before the church elders in October of 1867 to request "advice and aid in building a house of worship for the colored people." Though the names of the petitioners, or the church they wished to establish, are not in the Sharon Presbyterian minutes, it is believed that these African-American members were the subsequent founders of Lloyd Presbyterian Church.
On February 18, 1868, five trustees of Lloyd Presbyterian Church signed a deed to purchase one acre of land in Sharon Township - adjacent to the now emerging neighborhood of Morrison - for the purpose of erecting the congregation's first church building. These former slaves, like others all around them, sought to define their freedom within their own institutions and houses of worship.
When Lloyd Presbyterian Church was founded, Sharon Road was dirt and Colony Road was only a narrow path that led to the farmlands behind the Church grounds.
The early members of Lloyd Presbyterian would have spent much time in the church, which served, as most country churches, black and white, as a place to receive spiritual salve in difficult times and as a social center for the community. Longtime local residents have fondly recounted sitting on their front porches in summer evenings and listening to the members of Lloyd Presbyterian singing hymns.
In the half-century following the Civil War, Lloyd Presbyterian Church was central to life in Sharon Township. In this rural area it provided spiritual guidance, acted as a social outlet, and provided a forum for developing black leadership. It also served as a place of refuge, comfort, and encouragement for African-Americans.
In 1926, the property was sold to Cameron and Sarah Morrison. Mr. Morrison had recently completed his term as Governor of North Carolina, and the Morrisons purchased the site as part of a larger parcel that would become part of their grand "gentleman's farm" named Morrocroft.
Today, there is no visible evidence of the church building remaining, but records show that it was a small, one-story wooden structure, with a simple bell tower in the front.
Most of the 2+ acres on and around the Lloyd Presbyterian site is now covered with mature trees. It is probable that the plants that now exist there are offshoots from those planted by the Lloyd Presbyterian Church congregants more than 150 years ago.